The Carmel Unified School District Board of Education is undertaking the districting process to move to by-trustee-area elections.
Carmel Unified Board of Education Members are currently elected by all the voters of the entire jurisdiction and elect all the members to the governing board. Under a by-trustee-area election system the district is divided into geographic areas – trustee areas – and a board member residing in each trustee area is elected by the registered voters who live in that trustee area.
If the Board chooses to adopt a map and go to “by-trustee area” elections, the Board will consider a range of factors in selecting the final map including (but not limited to) equal population, communities of interest, compactness, contiguity of the areas, visible boundaries, and respect for voters’ wishes and continuity in office.
These new trustee areas are set to be in effect for November 2024 elections.
Revisions of these draft maps will be based on feedback received by the trustees and from the community during the public hearings, board meetings, or any feedback sent to the designated district staff member. Members of the public will be able to provide input about boundaries, as well as possible revisions of plans.
Important meeting dates:
- June 8, 2022 – first pre-map meeting
- June 22, 2022 – second pre-map meeting
- August 17, 2022 – first post-map meeting
- September 14, 2022 – second post-map meeting
- October 19, 2022 – third post-map meeting & Board will consider adoption
- November, 2022 – County Committee reviews plan
- November, 2024 – Board Election with by-trustee areas
If you have any questions, reach out to us at The C Group!